Heat Index values are expected to be high through the weekend. A heat advisory that includes Galveston County has been issued by the US National Weather Service Houston-Galveston Texas from noon – 7pm today. It’s likely there will be additional heat advisories over the weekend.
Make sure you are taking precautions to stay safe.
– Drink plenty of water
– Wear sunscreen
– Check on elderly and at risk neighbors
– Limit outdoor activities to cooler parts of the day
Hot and humid conditions will continue and intensify heading into this weekend with high temperatures above 100 F likely. Heat index values will be near or above 108 F through this evening; therefore, a heat advisory is in effect for most of the area through 7 PM this evening.
Additional heat headlines will likely be required this weekend through early next week. Sunday and Monday look to be the hottest days of the period. High temperatures are forecast to be near to or above 100, with heat indices of 105-110.
Dangerous Heat Messaging
With extreme heat in the forecast, the NWS will use the following messaging:
-Limit any time outdoors, especially during the afternoon
-Check your backseat for any pets or children
-Check in with your neighbors, especially the elderly
-Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated
-Wear sunscreen and light clothing
· NWS Houston Galveston Phone Numbers: (281) 337-5074 ext. 234 or ext. 232
· NWS Houston/Galveston Webpage: www.weather.gov/houston
· National Hurricane Center Webpage: www.hurricanes.gov
· Hourly Forecasts (Click Your Location): http://forecast.weather.gov/gridpoint.php?site=hgx&TypeDefault=graphical
· West Gulf River Forecast Center Webpage: www.weather.gov/wgrfc
· AHPS Webpage: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=hgx
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our office at the phone numbers listed in the Resources section above.